For the minor in Middle Eastern Studies, students must complete the following:
- HISTORY 130 and 131. Students may substitute Mideast 190B for History 130. Students may substitute Mideast 190A or Pubpol 190A for History 131.
- One year of a language of the region
- 12 credits of Middle Eastern Studies courses at or above the 200-level chosen from an approved list of courses (see approved Middle Eastern Studies Courses). This can be fulfilled with any combination of 3- and 4-credit classes. Classes taken for requirement 1 may not be used here.
UMass participates in the Five College Middle Eastern Studies Program. Please visit their website for more information.
Minor in Arabic
For non-native speakers:
- One year of Arabic language courses (at least two courses and at least six credits) beyond the intermediate level
For native speakers:
- Six Arabic language courses (at least 18 credits) beyond the intermediate level
UMass participates in the Five College Arabic Program. Please visit their website for more information.
To declare a minor in either Middle Eastern Studies or Arabic, please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (413-545-2550) the Department of Judaic and Near Eastern Studies main office located in Herter 744.