How to Explore the Major
The information below is meant to guide first year students in getting started with this major and choosing appropriate courses. More advanced students interested in this major would also likely start with proposed foundation/pre-requisite courses. Please refer to the Major page located in the left menu bar to learn about the full major requirements.
Suggested General Education Courses
All Undergraduates are required to satisfy the General Education Requirements. Guidelines for students are available at https://www.umass.edu/gened. Students should choose a wide variety of Gen Ed courses, providing breadth of experience.
- STPEC 189 (HSDG), STPEC 190X (SBDU), WOMENSST 187 (IDU)
Suggested Major and Pre-requisite Courses
- STPEC 101 Introduction to STPEC fulfills Social Theory prerequisite.
Required prerequisites, including recommended sequence:
- One Introductory Social Theory course (STPEC 101 or STPEC 189) subject to departmental approval. Course selections vary by semester.*
- One Introductory Political Economy course—normally ECON 103 or 104*
*Students should refer to the most recent STPEC Recommended Course List for specific course options. Course list is available at http://www.umass.edu/stpec/academics/stpec-recommended-course-lists
How to Apply/Change into the Major
For current & admitted students: This major is unrestricted, which means any student may declare the major. Unrestricted majors may still have an entry process such as meeting with an advisor or attending an informational meeting.
Matriculated UMass Amherst students: Students who are already enrolled at UMass Amherst and wish to join the major should schedule an appointment for an initial meeting with a STPEC advisor.
UMass Amherst applicants (first-year students and transfers): Students may indicate on their university applications that they wish to be accepted as a STPEC major. Students may also change into the STPEC Program during their initial summer advising sessions.
- First-year students are strongly encouraged to meet with a STPEC Program advisor during new student orientation.
- Transfer students are strongly encouraged to meet with a STPEC Program advisor during new student orientation.
Summary of Requirements for the Major
Minimum total # of credits required: 43
Minimum GPA for courses contributing to the major: 2.0
Refer to the Major page located in the left menu bar to learn more.
Is there a minor? If so, what are the requirements?
No, there is no minor available.
For further information, contact:
Monica M. Garcia, Director of Undergraduate Advising
Donna Vanasse, STPEC Program Coordinator
Graciela Monteagudo, STPEC Associate Director
301 Machmer Hall