Getting Started

College: SBS

Information below is meant to guide first-year students in getting started with this major and choosing appropriate courses. More advanced students interested in this major would also likely start with proposed foundation/pre-requisite courses. Please refer to the Major page located in the left menu bar to learn about the full major requirements.

How to Explore the Major

Suggested General Education Courses

All Undergraduates are required to satisfy the General Education Requirements. Guidelines for students are available at Students should choose a wide variety of Gen Ed courses, providing breadth of experience.

Students are advised to work on their General Education requirements and their minor, if known. Students can take JOURNAL 201 or JOURNAL 250 as a Gen Ed SB DU. They are also encouraged to work at the Collegian,, WMUA and UVC-19.

Suggested Major and Pre-requisite Courses

First-year Journalism majors are encouraged to enroll in JOURNAL 191: Journalism Success. They may enroll in JOURNAL 201: Introduction to Journalism (Gen Ed: SB DU), JOURNAL 250: News Literacy (Gen Ed: SB DU), and JOURNAL 225: Readings in Journalism, as well as begin to take General Education courses.

How to Declare/Change into the Major

For current & admitted students: This major is unrestricted, which means any student may declare the major. Unrestricted majors may still have an entry process such as meeting with an advisor or attending an informational meeting. Current on-campus students may declare/change into to the major online at

Transfer Students:

Students can declare when they enter the university. They should meet with an advisor in the Journalism Department, preferably during a transfer advising session or before the first day of classes.

Summary of Requirements for the Major

Refer to the Major page located in the left menu bar to learn more. Minimum total # of credits required: 45 (33 credits in the Journalism major and 15 credits in a minor/certificate/other major).

Is there a minor? If so what are the requirements?
No - A minor is not available.

For further information, contact:
Beth Wallace
Integrative Learning Center room S421; 545-1122